Getting a pregnancy massage from a registered therapist has its perks and is a great choice for prenatal care. The treatment is a healthy option for women to relieve issues that are associated with pregnancy such as a stiff neck, backache, edema or swelling, neck cramps and of course stress.
A prenatal massage is a therapeutic treatment that focuses on the special needs of a woman as her body goes through various stages of pregnancy. Not only does it alleviate discomfort it also prepares her for labor. Other psychological, physiological and emotional benefits include but are not limited to the following –
- Relieves stress on musculo fascial structures and weight bearing joints
- Helps relieve depression and anxiety caused by fluctuating hormones and keeps hormonal levels stabilized
- Promotes blood circulation which provides essential nutrients to both the mother and the growing fetus.
- The mother sleeps more fitfully since the treatment works to relax the nervous system and releases endorphins in the body
- Increases the circulation of blood which removes toxins from the body and strengthens the mother’s immune system
- Helps the mother maintain good posture. This is important since the growing baby’s weight keeps the mother’s body out of alignment
- Relieves leg cramps, muscle spasms and other aches or pains
There is a lot of stress on the body’s circulatory system during pregnancy since the volume of blood increases by over 60%. A pre-natal massage treatment increases blood flow to the placenta and uterus while supporting the return of the blood to the heart.
During the Prenatal Massage
Nicole takes extra care to ensure that pregnant clients are comfortable before starting the treatment. The customized pregnancy massage table keeps strain off the lower back and the pelvis during the massage. Clients will be required to fill out a form in which they will be asked to disclose any complications or conditions that may have occurred during the pregnancy. The therapist and client will consult to form a treatment strategy that addresses any conditions that must be relieved. The treatment will depend on which trimester a client is in.
Your comfort is important to us. The type of clothing chosen is left to the discretion of the client. During the treatment, your body will be draped on areas that do not have anything to do with other than the area being treated.
Clients are asked to lie on their stomachs during prenatal massage treatments. We have introduced new customized pregnancy tables which allow pregnant clients to lay on their stomachs while their bellies are supported with a specially designed sling.
We also offer post partum massage treatments for women who want to recuperate post pregnancy. Mothers and mothers to be are also recommended self massage treatments that can be carried out at home. We encourage clients to keep up with their appointments on a regular basis in order to make the most of their treatments. If you have any questions regarding prenatal massage treatments please feel free to contact us.